OHSAS 18001:2007 Health and Safety Management System
In today’s uncertain and highly competitive marketplace, your company needs to be able to demonstrate that health and safety, fire safety etc. is managed responsibly, effectively and meets legal requirements. At Universal Safety Solutions, we have extensive experience of developing and implementing OHSAS 18001:2007 compliant Health and Safety Management Systems which will enable your company to demonstrate that it has an effective system while offering the following benefits:
- Improved access to new business partners and new customers
- A clear expression to stakeholders of your companies commitment to health and safety
- Demonstration of an innovative and forward thinking approach
- Enhanced management of health and safety risks
- Prospective reduction in public liability insurance expenses
- Prospective reduction in ill health, injury and incidents
- Prospective reduction in downtime and the associated costs
- A clear display of legal and regulatory obligation and subsequent compliance
What is OHSAS 18001:2007?
OHSAS (Occupational Health and Safety Assessment Series) 18001:2007 is the internationally recognised assessment specification for occupational Health and Safety management systems. OHSAS 18001:2007 has been designed to work seamlessly with ISO 9001 (Quality) and ISO 14001 (Environment).
OHSAS 18001:2007 will be replaced over the next three or four years by ISO 45001, Occupational Health and Safety Management System. The ISO 45001 standard is due to be published in late 2017.
What are the benefits of having OHSAS 18001:2007?
- A reduced risk of accidents and incidents
- Reduced risk of staff absence with associated sickness payments
- Reduced risk of enforcement action and fines
- Improved operational performance through policies and procedures
- Ensures compliance with health and safety legislation and regulations
- Potential reduced insurance premiums
- Increased access to new customers through an improved corporate image
- A positive reputation and Health and Safety track record
- Increased staff awareness of Health and Safety
Why implement a Safety Management System such as OHSAS 18001:2007?
Providing a safe working environment is fundamental to your employees, clients, visitors etc., while improving your organisation’s overall performance and productivity. Downtime due to injuries can have a major financial and human cost to an organisation. There can be both direct costs and intangible costs both of which can have a major impact on the financial viability of an organisation. These intangible costs in many circumstances can have a long term effect on an organisation’s productivity, including:
- Loss of reputation
- Reduced chance of acquiring tenders
- Reduced investment
- Increased turnover
- Reduced employee morale
Using OHSAS 18001:2007 to promote productivity
A fully integrated safety management system lays out processes and safe systems of work that assist employees in working more efficiently. This in turn assists in the productivity of an organisation as employees seamlessly follow processes, which are embedded in the organisations structure.
Organisations seek certification for many different reasons:
- Contracts which the organisation is pursuing may require certification to a particular Standard as a tender condition
- Certification can provide customers confidence in the services provided by the certified organisation and can therefore be used as a marketing tool
- Certification provides a verified demonstrated commitment by the organisation to continual improvement and effective customer focus
- Certified Management Systems have been demonstrated to improve business outcomes and to assist in managing risks within the organisation
- Certified Management Systems can increase the efficiency of business processes, and thereby reduce waste and rework
- Certification to a particular standard can be a requirement for international trade
- Certification of management systems can help to increase sales, reduce staff turnover, improve morale and improve profitability
- Safety Certification can also result in reduced insurance premiums
If you are thinking of developing and implementing a health and safety management system that meets OHSAS 18001:2007 or are interested in improving your current management system then give Universal Safety Solutions a call. We will arrange for one of our senior consultants to arrange a no obligation meeting to discuss your particular needs. We are based in Gloucestershire and work UK wide.
Call us at our Tewkesbury Office: 07950 912916 or email firstname.lastname@example.org